Tuesday, February 19, 2008

congratulations you're a wiener!

The title of this posting should be rapidly blinking, to the point of causing you to go into spastic convulsions on the floor. And the reason your a winner is... well, cause you did that very unique, courageous thing of visiting a web page where this insanely annoying ad appears. While surfing you may come upon one of these terribly annoying banner ads, alerting you to claim your winnings for being the 999,999th visitor. Of course your not stupid enough to respond to such nonsense. Are you? I never pay much attention to these vile, repugnant things, as hard as that can be sometimes, but i looked at it and paused for a moment and assessed the risk associated, and decided to put the hook around my mouth. I decided to claim my prize. The one for me being the 999,999th visitor. Okay i know what your thinking. Don't do it. Stop! Go back. Run for your lives!

Well, throwing caution to the wind, i decided to click the banner, which was indeed blinking and actually exclaimed my status as the 999,999th visitor. I entered my email address and clicked return. You see, I have this neat option of being able to create as many email addresses as i want, and give them names like 'fraud@blahblah.com' for example. I was asked to provide my physical address and phone number. Here i paused and wondered if i should provide an address, like my parents for example (mom i hope your not reading this. Your moving soon aren't you?) Well, while i left the window open, and considered my options for a few minutes, I notice an email came down the pike. Now this is at 3am, and i don't get many emails from friends at 3am. Checking my mail reveled, that in the few moments of my contemplation, my junk, virgin, email address had already been compromised, i mean violated. The horror.

Now keep in mind, i haven't even signed up for, or agreed to any terms or conditions, and i have already received four junk emails, from 'The University of Phoenix' and 'eHarmony' specifically sent to my brand spanking new email address, that i provided only to them. A Google search for ConsumerGain.com reveals another company MemberSource Media, LLC. Another search reveals a Federal District Court filing in the state of CA of the United States of America vs. MemberSource Media, LLC. Hmm, i wonder if i should peruse this further, or just jump out of the boat? Oh by the way i've visited the webpage were i first saw the ad, it seems i'm the 999,999th visitor again, and a winner, or wiener again.

No comments: