Tuesday, April 29, 2008

accomplished

Brian had mentioned to me some time back that he played the bass. I was a little suspicious of his skills, having heard him 'play' drums at a recent open mic. I warily invited him to a recent jam session. A dozen very qualified musicians were gathered. Brian proclaimed to everyone that he played the bass. He sat next to me, and as i played the piano, i watched him as he banged all four strings at once and jerked his had up and down the neck of the bass, merely as a gesture, never pressing a single note. We had to turn him down. Someone else took over, it was rather amusing. He then began drinking and had just taken medication. I'm sure your not supposed to mix the two, oh yeah don't forget the weed. Being turned down numerous times didn't discourage him at all. He picked up the bass again and again. I'm sure Brian still refers to himself as a bass player too. Update: Brian was at my house not long ago and played my acoustic guitar. I turned on my keyboard and asked him to play three notes, one of which was simply plucking a string without holding down any note. It was a tremendous struggle, and he quickly gave up.

No comments: